Dimriv (dawn): you can see a frosty early morning in this steel blue shimmery yarn. Alpaca and silk serve to reflect the indigo colour in a very sophisticated way – ensuring this thick and thin drapey yarn will become something very beautiful.
- Hand-spun and hand-dyed with natural indigo in Hoswick, Shetland by Niela Nell Kalra
- Nielanell handspun is made in one-off, or very limited edition, skeins
- Alpaca, mulberry silk (50/50)
- Two Ply
- 65g (approx)
- There is another skein of this yarn weighing approx. 35g. Please email us or leave a message in the box contained within shopping cart if you are interested.
- 34m (approx)
- Fibre dyed after spinning
- Handwash cold with a suitable gentle detergent.
This yarn is from my collection Of a Hoswick sea. A Hoswick Sea is many things. It’s affected by the weather, the light, the season and of course our own mood. The tidal movement is comfortingly constant, the sea breathes life into our village. It dominates our senses especially when it is wild. The Hoswick Sea is our rock, especially in these difficult and uncertain times.
Always drawn to dying with indigo vats—I now see that I made subconscious connections between the myriad of colours which emerge from the pigment and the sea. This is my attempt to pay homage to it by honouring its ever-changing shades of blue.
We advise that you order as far in advance as possible, not least because Shetland weather (and therefore our post!) can be unpredictable!
- UK deliveries: last orders by 17th December
- International (excl EU*): last orders by 26 November
- Studio holiday: the studio will be closed 25th December 2021 to 5th January 2022. Orders made during this period will be shipped when we reopen.
*Deliveries to the EU are currently suspended. We are so sorry for this inconvenience.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
- Collection from Nielanell, Hoswick: free of charge (choose this option at checkout).
Suspension of deliveries to the EU
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible and within a week of ordering (at the moment we are shipping once a week). If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- Please note, you can also choose to collect your order from Nielanell, Hoswick, using the click-and-collect option. This option is not available during holiday periods.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very small edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.