rigg long vaarie jacket
A gorgeous wrap-around jacket to take comfort in. Longline and generously cut, wear it loose and flowing or pinned how you choose.
This jacket is simply our vaarie jacket but in a longer version, for more coverage.
Design & colour
We make these in very small editions of colour, which are unlikely to be repeated!
Materials & manufacture
- 65% extra-fine merino wool
- 35% supersheen acrylic – a combination of fibres of superior quality and carefully sourced from Italy
- Knitted by skilled local craftspeople and hand-finished in the Shetland Islands, Scotland
Sizing & fit
Sizes available: one size (guide size 10-24)
A longer version of the vaarie jacket. The versatility of this longer jacket makes it suitable for a wide range of sizes. Due to the stretch, scrunch and drape of the rigg textile, it’s difficult to get an absolutely exact measurement. The approximate measurements given with the diagrams below are for the garments laid flat.
The longer, neat way
- A1 (sleeve length): 52cm
- B1 (back length): 65cm
- C1 (underarm-underarm, measured across the back): 50cm
Worn the long way this behaves like a long cardi and can work well even on smaller figures who like a looser, snuggly, fit.
This is the way our model is wearing the jacket. She's an 18-20.
The shorter, slouchy way
- A2 (underarm-underarm, measured across the back): 68cm
- B2 (back length): 50cm
- C2 (sleeve length): 46cm
Worn the short way the jacket behaves just like the original vaarie jacket and is especially good for larger figures.
Our standard Vaarie jacket (left) with the Long Vaarie jacket (right), showing difference in length.
In the photograph above, you can see the difference in length between our standard Vaarie jacket, and the Long Vaarie jacket. Both are shown in the slouchy way of wearing.
The Rigg collection: design process and inspiration
There are many ways in which tradition can inspire. My bestselling knitwear collection, Rigg, borrows a principle from Fair Isle knitting.
Rigg pieces are not influenced by how Fair Isle knitting looks. Instead, inspiration came from the construction of these traditional pieces. In particular I became really interested in how air is knitted into Fair Isle garments, and the way this contributes to warmth and their characteristic, lofty handle.
The reverse of the Rigg knitted textile: tension-creating 'floats' of yarn create pockets of air
By manipulating tension during the knitting process, the Rigg fabric is pulled into soft ridges, which creates the pockets of air in this delightfully squishy fabric.
Great for travelling, Rigg pieces can be rolled up and popped in your bag.
Last order dates
For Christmas delivery, please make your orders by/on the dates below:
- Australia & New Zealand: Monday 28th November
- USA & Canada: Monday 5th December
- UK: Monday 19th December
Please get in touch if you need any further information.
We'd encourage you to order as early as possible. Alongside the variable Shetland weather, this year there is Royal Mail strike action during December.
We do also have gift vouchers, which are redeemable in store or online.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
- Collection from Nielanell, Hoswick: free of charge (choose this option at checkout).
Suspension of deliveries to the EU and EEA
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU and the EEA. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible and within a week of ordering (at the moment we are shipping once a week). If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- Please note, you can also choose to collect your order from Nielanell, Hoswick, using the click-and-collect option. This option is not available during holiday periods.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very small edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.