Knitted in double-faced jacquard, this scarf is fully reversible to give an interesting difference and contrast between the two sides.
Smoky sea blue is the dominant colour on one side; moonlit sand is dominant on the other. A piece of the beach at Hoswick, lit by moonlight, to wear. Extra-fine merino yarn means this bold scarf is also beautifully soft and warm.
The smoky sea blue (this yarn is actually a marl of mocha and deep blue) contrasts with a sandy neutral. These yarns were chosen to evoke a moonlit night on Hoswick beach, which is just a few hundred yards away from the Nielanell studio in Shetland’s South Mainland.
Materials & manufacture
- Reverse jacquard
- 100% extra-fine merino wool
- Knitted by skilled local craftspeople and hand-finished in the Shetland Islands, Scotland.
Sizing & fit
- A (width): 16cm
- B (length): 172cm
All knitwear is individually made, so measurements given are approximate.
The monoprint that is the origin of the Shoormal collection. I made this while was experimenting during the design process for another collection.
Notes from the designer
Shoormal is a Shetland word for either the space between high and low tide, or the high tide mark itself.
I realised that a monoprint I’d made during the design process for another collection, and put aside, had strength in its own right. I started experimenting with the imagery: placing them into garment shapes and getting swatches knitted, and then sample pieces of knitwear made up.
It was during this process that garments began to make me think of the shore here in Hoswick and that interesting space in-between tides: the shoormal.
Hoswick Sand after the tide has ebbed
Last order dates
For Christmas delivery, please make your orders by/on the dates below:
- Australia & New Zealand: Monday 28th November
- USA & Canada: Monday 5th December
- UK: Monday 19th December
Please get in touch if you need any further information.
We'd encourage you to order as early as possible. Alongside the variable Shetland weather, this year there is Royal Mail strike action during December.
We do also have gift vouchers, which are redeemable in store or online.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
- Collection from Nielanell, Hoswick: free of charge (choose this option at checkout).
Suspension of deliveries to the EU and EEA
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU and the EEA. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible and within a week of ordering (at the moment we are shipping once a week). If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- Please note, you can also choose to collect your order from Nielanell, Hoswick, using the click-and-collect option. This option is not available during holiday periods.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very small edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.