This multi-directional and reversible wrap is the epitome of flexibility. It drapes on the shoulders beautifully with or without a pin or brooch.
Wear as an enveloping scarf, a fitted shawl, a loose wrap or even a skirt, the styling is yours. The marlet wrap can be worn with the straight edge low on the back or up at the neck.
Of all the knitwear that that I have designed this wrap is my favourite. The shape is derived from the shape of an elephant's soft ear...as are the markings in the design.
Pattern & colour
The subtly contrasting dapples (some wraps also have stripes) on each side create a different effect with each manoeuvre. Marlet wraps are made in very small editions of colour: once sold out, colours are unlikely to be repeated.
Materials & manufacture
- 100% extra-fine merino wool
- Knitted and hand-finished by skilled local craftspeople in the Shetland Islands, Scotland
- Pin for illustration only
Sizing & fit
- A (width at widest point): 84cm
- B (length): 169cm
All knitwear is individually made, so measurements given are approximate.
Some Marlet wraps have stripes layered through the design, for an extra colour detail.
A Nielanell version of animal ‘print’
Marlet design inspiration
Many visitors to my studio shop in Shetland look at our Marlet knitwear and see lichen. Others get a little bit closer to the source material for the design, seeing the markings of an animal—seals. But nobody has guessed that the Marlet textile design originally came from the ear of an Indian elephant!
I don’t mind what you see in this pattern—in fact, isn’t that an interesting thing in its own right?
Marlet does some interesting things with different colour combinations and varying contrast (subtle or eye-popping!), and the double-faced jacquard knit drapes beautifully.
Last order dates
For Christmas delivery, please make your orders by/on the dates below:
- Australia & New Zealand: Monday 28th November
- USA & Canada: Monday 5th December
- UK: Monday 19th December
Please get in touch if you need any further information.
We'd encourage you to order as early as possible. Alongside the variable Shetland weather, this year there is Royal Mail strike action during December.
We do also have gift vouchers, which are redeemable in store or online.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
- Collection from Nielanell, Hoswick: free of charge (choose this option at checkout).
Suspension of deliveries to the EU and EEA
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU and the EEA. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible and within a week of ordering (at the moment we are shipping once a week). If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- Please note, you can also choose to collect your order from Nielanell, Hoswick, using the click-and-collect option. This option is not available during holiday periods.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very small edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.