With an individually chosen accent colour, this wrap is wearable art—and has become a customer favourite.
As is fitting of a Shetland knitwear firm, at Nielanell we are really fond of shawls and wraps... especially those with a large wingspan, like this one.
Every wrap has an individually chosen contrast colour: a line is 'drawn' in a different place on each piece. Knitted in 100% extra-fine, worsted-spun merino for superior handle and wear.
Colour popping combinations or subtle tones are amongst the small edition colourways available. Once sold out, colours are unlikely to be repeated!
Materials & manufacture
- 100% extra-fine merino wool
- Knitted by skilled local craftspeople and hand-finished in the Shetland Islands, Scotland
Sizing & fit
- Longest length 225cm
- Maximum width 89cm
- The wrap is an irregular shape.
All knitwear is individually made, so measurements given are approximate.
Ebb-stanes on the shore at Hoswick, Shetland
Landscape, line and family memory in a collection of contemporary Shetland knitwear
The tide is a moving line, revealing (and hiding) stones on the beach at Hoswick as it ebbs and flows. In Shetland these stones and pebbles are called Ebb-stanes. This shifting, natural border is so different from the man-made borders we see elsewhere.
I was thinking about line in landscape and the differences between a tide mark, a path and something much more fixed. My father was Indian, and our family became overnight refugees when a new border was drawn in 1947—The Partition of India.
These thoughts and explorations of the concept of borders became my Ebb-stanes collection. A Shetland landscape-inspired pattern is overlaid or interfaced with line, or set in neat panels. Some garments are asymmetric in design; the soft, extra-fine merino yarn gives the most beautiful finish to the array of colours.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
- Collection from Nielanell, Hoswick: free of charge (choose this option at checkout).
Suspension of deliveries to the EU
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible and within a week of ordering (at the moment we are shipping once a week). If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- Please note, you can also choose to collect your order from Nielanell, Hoswick, using the click-and-collect option. This option is not available during holiday periods.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very small edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.