saand holiday jumper
A flowing and beautifully lightweight, comfortable sweater. Shoulders are dropped low, to meet neat bracelet sleeves. Elegant contemporary summer knitwear for those in temperate climates, the holiday jumper is worn year-round in hotter locations.
Design & colour
With Nielanell attention to detail a 'plain' boxy jumper becomes a design-led piece. Sleeves are almost cuffs, and edges are shaped carefully to give a satisfying, simple finish.
Knitted in a finely textured stitch, with ribbed detailing, the Saand holiday jumper shows off the superior quality and colour of our breathable extra-fine merino yarn.
We make these in an ever-changing selection of colours, which are all in small editions.
Materials & manufacture
- 100% extra-fine merino wool
- Knitted and hand-finished by skilled local craftspeople in the Shetland Islands, Scotland
Sizing & fit
Sizes available: small (guide size 10-20); large (guide size 18-26)
- A (underarm-underarm): 92cm; 114cm
- B (back length): 78cm both sizes
- C (sleeve length): 20cm both sizes
Sand on the beach at Hoswick, the Shetland village where Nielanell is based.
Inspiration & design process
The Saand holiday jumper came about in a slightly unusual way (for a Nielanell design), because it started with thinking about a knit stitch. I wanted to use a fabric that would knit in the same way all the way to the edge (no borders, no edging).
We started swatching in the simple, textured stitch known as moss (or seed) stitch. To my eye, however, because it was knit in such fine extra-fine merino it looked just like grains of gritty sand.
It was really interesting to see how the stitches interfered with the light reflecting off the yarn. Similar to the large grains of sand down on the beach here in Hoswick.
In Shetland the word for sand is saand, which is spoken with the characteristically long vowel—a trademark of the dialect here.
I immediately knew that this fabric would become an airy garment.
On the beach at Hoswick, Shetland. Just a few hundred yards from the Nielanell knitwear shop and studio.
- Last orders, international: Saturday 2nd December
- Last orders, UK: Monday 18th December
Please do order as early as you can, Shetland weather is unpredictable and can lead to postal services being delayed. Orders made before/on the dates above should reach you by Christmas. We also have gift vouchers, which are delivered digitally.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
- Collection from Nielanell, Hoswick: free of charge (choose this option at checkout).
Suspension of deliveries to the EU and EEA
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU and the EEA. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible and within a week of ordering (at the moment we are shipping once a week). If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- Please note, you can also choose to collect your order from Nielanell, Hoswick, using the click-and-collect option. This option is not available during holiday periods.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very small edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.