The ultimate shawl to wrap yourself up in. Knitted in luxurious, drapey merino—the reversable nature of the double-sided jacquard fabric is shown to full effect in this large 'hap' (a Shetland word for shawl). Wearable art.
This collection came about from an ideas exchange with Scottish artist Karlyn Sutherland. Inspiration came from her installation in a byre at Latheronwheel in northern Scotland—where she mapped the fall of light. The Nielanell Byre collection is an interpretation of Karlyn's work in knit.
Materials & manufacture
- 100% extra-fine merino wool
- Knitted and hand-finished by skilled local craftspeople in the Shetland Islands, Scotland
Size & fitThis is a very large wrap. Some even wear it as a blanket scarf.
- A (width): 54cm
- B (length): 248cm
All knitwear is individually made, so measurements given are approximate.
Installation by Karlyn Sutherland, at Latheronwheel, Caithness
The Byre collection of knitwear takes the glass pieces and drawings made by Karlyn Sutherland, and reinterprets these in knit—both the 'pattern' and the shapes of the garments are related to the installation.
Karlyn Sutherland mapped the fall of light within a historic byre (cattle barn) at Latheronwheel, near Lybster in Caithness.
Karlyn's drawings made on specific days at specific times then became panels of glass, which she hung in the space. Each of these shapes of light are only seen once a year (on a clear day)—the glass becomes a recording and echo of the light.
Drawings of the fall and movement of light, later to be made in glass.
- UK P&P: £8 per order.
- International (EU deliveries currently suspended) P&P: £20 per order.
- Please note: customers outside the UK are responsible for any customs or tax charges applicable within their own country.
Suspension of deliveries to the EU
From January 2021
Due to the uncertainty regarding the end of Britain's transition period with the EU, we are now suspending deliveries to countries in the EU. We are so sorry for this inconvenience and will update the information when we have it.
- Most items should be available immediately. If not, we will contact you to tell when the item will be available.
- We send out UK items using Royal Mail, items over a value of £100 will be sent by way of special delivery. This is a signed for, insured service.
- We aim to send out your order just as soon as possible – in any event within a week of ordering. If you need an item sent immediately, just let us know and we will be delighted to try to help you.
Nielanell knitwear is designed to last
Here are a few recommendations to help ensure your garment lives a long and happy life:
- Less is more when it comes to washing, many people find quality knitwear can be worn without washing for a long time (feel free to use our advice as a reason to do less laundry!).
- Handwashing your garment is recommended.
- We suggest that you hand-wash your garment using liquid for woollens, or flakes at 30 degrees or less. Harsh detergents are likely to ruin your knitwear.
- You may wish to wash in the machine on a very gentle hand-wash wool cycle at 30 degrees or less, using a small quantity of detergent specifically designed for delicate/wool items—but you need to ensure your washing machine uses a very gentle cycle. You must be confident in using your washing machine for woollens. We will not be responsible for items which shrink or felt by inappropriate machine washing or are damaged through use of regular detergents.
- Do not wring.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Dry flat on a rack or in the fresh air, and steam/press very lightly*.
- Alternatively, you can dry clean the garment.
*Don’t iron Rigg pieces. We also recommend that you do not stretch out the textile when drying. Lie the piece flat, but with a bit of a crumple to allow for the natural spring in the fabric to contract. No need to steam or press.
Each piece of Nielanell knitwear is individually knitted by local manufacturers here in Shetland, and then finished by hand in-house.
Many of our collections are made in very limited edition colourways, with a constantly changing selection.
If you’re looking for something in particular, that you can’t see on the website, please do get in touch—we often have more colourways in stock that don’t make it onto the website!
NB Please treat garment measurements as approximate, knitwear can be difficult to measure and each item will differ slightly.